Friday, March 26, 2010

"It is I to whom it is speaking"--Kierkegaard

"When you read God's Word you must (so that you actually do some to see yourself in the mirror) remember to say to yourself incessantly: It is I to whom it is speaking; It is I about whom it is speaking...If God's Word is for you merely a doctrine, something impersonal and objective, then it is no mirror--an objective doctrine cannot be called a mirror; it is just as impossible to look at yourself in an objective doctrine as to look at yourself in a wall. And if you want to relate impersonally (objectively) to God's Word, there can be no question of looking at yourself in the mirror, because it takes a personality, an I, to look at oneself in a mirror; a wall can be seen in a mirror, but a wall cannot see itself or look at itself in a mirror. No, while reading God's Word you must incessantly say to yourself: It is I to whom it is speaking; It is I about whom it is speaking."
It is I...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home