Sunday, March 21, 2010

I wonder... #19

I wonder...

What does "amen" mean to you in your prayers? ὰμήν (if you were curious what the Greek looked like), roughly means "verily," "so let it be," "truly," "indeed," etc. It is a declaration of a truth that the speaker firmly believes in. It is also an expression of sincere desire, highlighting the importance of a prayer request to the speaker (i.e. "Lord, please heal so and so...amen"). It denotes something truly.

Seems simple enough...but I am concerned with how we think about "amen"...I do not know about you, but I often find myself thinking about "amen" as leading me out of "prayer time"...However, prayers (those who pray) must move into their prayers (what they pray).

Do not let "Amen" end your prayers, rather let it define the life that you live--let your life be that prayer, a prayer without ceasing. "Amen" should not stop something, it should begin something, a way of looking at life, a way of comporting yourself, a way of acting, etc. Let it denote resolve. Let it define your hope, love, purpose, and perspective.

"Amen" is a door into a heavenly reality, step through and realize/actualize the kingdom of God, here and now...

So I end here, and at the end I hope to begin, ending with the last words of Scripture.
"He who testifies to these things says, 'Surely I am coming soon.' Amen. Come, Lord Jesus! The grace of the Lord Jesus be with all. Amen." (Rev. 22:20-21)
Let us live into this reality. Amen.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home