Tuesday, October 24, 2006

It behooves man to read Irving

Truly, it is astonishing that I had yet to hear of the joy that is undoubtedly had in the company of one so refined and brilliant as Washington Irving. I do suggest the Sketch Book to all those who have yet to meet this fine gentleman and his imagination with the utmost vigor. "The Pride of the Village," is definitely a good start, a mere eight pages of your life to better it. Now, knowing me, I am rather zealous for those things that strike my fancy, so if these stories fail to play a pleasing tune to your ear, forgive me for steering you wrong, but as it stands, most assuredly, I enjoy his works, and I am only sorry to say you do not. Now: why? Why might I enjoy this book so? Is it the fact that every word flows off the tongue with perfect ease? The fact that I doubt another could have said it better? Nay, though his words poetic, the fact of the matter is: they are not unrealistic in their brilliance. There is a beauty in his stories and thoughts that represents the terrors, sorrows, and joys of the real life. There is reality amongst the fiction. Plus the fact that it is written as a man’s journal of his journeys over the world is all the more reason to give him a hearty cheer or two…now…back to Eusebius (which I must admit is very informative and thorough. God bless the saints).

Stay strong Christian and fight the good fight. Through pain and plight take not to flight, but hold to truth and keep to right. May the morals and virtues of a Christian faith shape your life, and may we spend our days in the contemplation of God's splendor, and the service of our Sovereign. Live for Christ. Live man!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home